My Wonderful Visitors

.

For free BLOGGING SEMINARS AND TUTORIALS, click the tabs below. I am sorry, but I am not available for personal blogging questions as I am writing full-time and my work takes precedence.

.

.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Music Soothes the Soul





The other day, my husband came home “bearing gifts.” A friend of ours named Kerry owns a store and had saved cigar boxes for me because he knew I wanted them for my art. My husband walked through the door with all the boxes. I was so excited! This one is my favorite and it smells divine! Inside, it has the scent of cedar. I decorated the inside lid of the box as I didn’t want the amazing aroma of the wood to dissipate.

I created a matching cd, which seems fitting for a “music” theme. (The cd does not play--it is for decorative purposes only.) This work is replete with symbolism. “18” in Hebrew is the equivalent of the word “chai,” which means “life.” Music is such an important element of life that it accompanies each of us to our individual destinies or “destinations,” as it says in the piece on the leather tag. Our memories are contained within tunes and lyrics...we carry them with us every day.

In various places, the box was stamped and rubbed, leaving a faded image of a fleur de lis throughout...(I’m from New Orleans, so that is in honor of my location.) The cd has been what I refer to as “back-stamped.” I glue paper down, rip it in a specific section, then stamp the hollowed out space. It gives the piece more dimension. (I guess it’s hard to believe, but this box and cd took 18 hours to complete.)

The female image on both pieces is from Marie’s Freebies. Sheet music is from the Graphics Fairy. This work was also created from commercial papers, embellishments, fibers, beading, hand-painted batik fabric, tulle, cheese cloth, transparencies, inks, organza ribbon, and ephemera, including a ticket stub from Mind Wide Open.

This is my entry for the Creative Spirit Challenge, as well as the following challenges:

Alter It Monthly--Hugs to Zuzu, Carol, and Gillian!

Also, linking this up to Mixed Media Monday--Memories Challenge--Hugs to Diane!

And The Graphics Fairy--Brag Monday--Hugs to Karen.

And A Glimpse of Beautiful--Hugs to Renee!

And one more thing--if you have not entered these challenges, I recommend that you do...These ladies are AMAZING and it is great to create art in the company of friends who cheer you on and watch you grow in your craft.

28 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Wow, Cindy, this is fabulous!!!! I think I have some of those cigar boxes, does it have a black top?

xxoo

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love the way some cigar boxes smell!!!
Debbie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Cindy, this is SO lovely, I haven't done an assemblage or collage in a box...looks like fun! Thanks for hosting the party, I linked up one of my collages! XO

Junibears said...

Dearest Cindy, Wow and Wow again! What amazing art! They are so, so beautiful!
Cigar boxes are hard to get hold of here. I've only ever found two and these I decoupaged and varnished and couldn't bear to part with! LOL!

I can well imagine these took 18 hours work but such loving work.
Have a blessed day.
Love June xx

Paper Paradise said...

So happy to have found your wonderful blog. Look forward to being a follower. x

Zuzu's Blog said...

well done Cindy.. and thank you for explaining the imagery connections. great to see your regular participation.
that box looks divine before it even had anything on it.. great find.. i have a friend that smokes cigars so I get all her empty cardboard carton boxes. you will see those turn up regularly on my blog lol

Netty said...

Ooh Cindy this is fabulous, just brilliant. Have a great day. Annette x

Anonymous said...

Good morning Cindy ! soooo great ! it's awesome ! thank you for your lovely comment, I've just added a link to you with your challenge button, really pretty ! Wish you a happy Sunday, hugs

peggy aplSEEDS said...

this is wonderful! i would love to have a friend who owns a cigar shop and saves boxes for me!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, beautiful box, Cindy! I love the CD you made to complement the lid, too. I used cigar boxes years ago {pre-blogging era} and painted and decoupaged them. I have one that I keep out on display and inside I keep all the notes my kids wrote to me when they were little.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This is really nice. I like the image of the lady on the CD. Speaking of CDs ...I never would have thought to use a CD that way!!! that's really nice!!! Have a lovely Sunday. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Patti said...

Oh, beautiful!! Another of your incredibly gorgeous pieces of art.

And want to hear something funny....my husband and son use cigar boxes too. They have a small woodworking business (with Etsy shop), and they make and sell cigar box guitars. Cigar boxes really are beautiful.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

Kim B said...

Each piece is so creative. I love that. I love cigar boxes too. So many uses and of course using for mixed media art. I am linking up to the creative spirit party.
Hugs,
Kim

My Creative House said...

Cindy love your cigar box it is so creativ made with so many wonderful things in and outside it, your blog is so inspiring to visit always something new to look at. Have a nice week.
Hugs Anni

Nan said...

Cindy..this is really pretty! For some reason it reminds me of the old style music boxes that played metal discs. My grandmother had one and I loved playing with it! You know the right cigar box might be a good dress cabinet???? :)

cheryl said...

cindy this really is what I call wonderful art work,such creativity to feast the eyes,on,wonderful,hugs cheryl xxx

Gillian .... said...

Hi Cindy, I adore your assemblage piece, all the elements enhance the story behind your artwork, fab, thanks again for sharing your work with us over at Alter It Monthly:)

Faye said...

Gorgeous work, Cindy, and I think that's fantastic about the cigar boxes. I used to make doll beds out of them at VBS. We even made little mattresses and pillows. VBS is different these days.

Terry said...

First of all your box is stunning! Love it so much! My DH has stops all over the place looking for cigar boxes and we just can't find them! So glad that someone finds these hidden treasures!

Nancy said...

Wow, this is really amazing! Without a doubt the most beautiful cigar box I've ever seen! It really is brilliant!!!

Rosie said...

Beautifully done as usual Cindy! I may even get my own box decorated now!!

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

a gorgeous box, love it :)) , and I have joined the Creative Spirit challenge.. thank you for the heads up!
xx

Petunia said...

Wow Cindy your music box is beautiful!! I love how you used the CD and the symbolic meaning of each item you used. And I love the vintage lady graphic and how she anchors the whole piece. Of course I adore the fleur de lis! My husband's friend owns a cigar shop and he said he's selling more boxes then cigars! Thanks so much for this challenge. I can't wait till next month!

PetraB said...

The decoration you used on the box is divine, a wonderful work of art!

Rachel Renee said...

Cindy, you're amazing! What a fun, beautiful box! It looks like it took 18 hours to make!!! It would have taken me DAYS!! :)

Thanks for linking to Something Beautiful Mondays on the first link party!!

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

It all just WORKS! so well together great box. the imagination and talent has really gone through the roof for the AIM I will really have to get my thinking cap on

Love Dawn xx

Miss Hillbilly said...

This is beautiful!!

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Whoops! I got so excited about your article I nearly missed your Brag!! It's beautiful Cindy, nice to know it smells good too! haha. Thanks for linking up again. I left you a comment over on Cresendoh. I think it has to be moderated before it posts though.