My Wonderful Visitors

.

For free BLOGGING SEMINARS AND TUTORIALS, click the tabs below. I am sorry, but I am not available for personal blogging questions as I am writing full-time and my work takes precedence.

.

.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

An Amazing Project


New Butterfly Added!



There is a poignant on-going project called The Butterfly Project for the Holocaust Museum in Houston. The museum is planning an exhibit for 2013 to show 1.5 million handmade butterflies from people all over the world. Six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust. The butterflies are to commemorate the 1.5 million children who were among them. I have made 3 butterflies for the exhibit which I will be sending to Trudi in Canada. To read more about the project and join in, please go to: http://twodressesstudion.blogspot.com



My butterflies were created with images from the Graphics Fairy, which were digitally altered, printed, and backed with grungeboard. From there, the process began to take shape using distress ink, soy silk painted on with gel medium, a glass bottle with a cork and beads labeled "soar," round mirrors, fibers, and various embellishments.

The Jewish prayer, The Shema, is printed in Hebrew on the blue butterfly. It also carries with it a baby butterfly (on the right.) Bird feathers on the orange butterfly were used to replicate Mardi Gras masks common in New Orleans, to represent where this butterfly was created.

The graphics for the pink rose butterfly are from Shabby Cottage Studio and let me just say, I'm in love with the graphic and the pink rose made out of mulberry paper! The entire butterfly has been mod podged and then edged with gesso in a pattern (white) for a lacy effect.



I am linking this up to Brag Monday! And please scroll down to see my second entry for Brag Monday which is my Marie Antoinette tag!

35 comments:

Devonay said...

Beautiful, Cindy!!!! Your creativity amazes me.

Marfi-topia said...

Cindy! you did an amazing job on these! But that is not surprising! you're a Great artist.
have a great day,
m

Netty said...

Oh wow Cindy they are gorgeous. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

Chris Arlington said...

Hello Cindy, Hope your weekend is divine! I know your butterflies are gorgeous! Thank you for the information
Hugs Chris

Kim B said...

Beautiful work. Hope you have a nice weekend :)

Nancy said...

Your butterflies are Beautiful! What an amazing
project to participate in. Thank you for the link!
xo Nancy

Unknown said...

So gorgeous and what a great project!!!
I'm glad you got the token of my affection and appreciation for your gorgeous gift. We have a Christening tomorrow and I will be wearing the beautiful bracelet you made. I'll be sure to share pics :)
Roselle

Miss Hillbilly said...

Stunning!!

Carola Bartz said...

Cindy, gorgeous, beautiful butterflies. And an amazing project well worth it.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I LOVE butterflies and these are so pretty. You are so talented Cindy. And it's for such a great cause. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Leo said...

Cindy - these are beautiful. And what an wonderful creation you have made. Amazing to learn that there were 1.5 million children....it just is astounding.

Linda M. said...

Cindy, Fantastic butterflies! Thanks for helping to meet the goal with your creations and posting. Have a wonderful week.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

These are really beautiful, meaningful creations, Cindy! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Lovey said...

The Butterflies are really beautiful Cindy! I especially love the first one with the roses! Wow!

cheryl said...

oh my dear frind,these are amazing gosh,your creativity never ceases to amaze me just such beauty in everything you do love hugs cheryl xxxx

Junibears said...

Fantastic work Cindy! They are utterly gorgeous!
Hugs
June xx

Yvonne said...

These are gorgeous, Cindy!

Zsóka said...

Again, so nice and sweet what you did.

Zsóka

Hearts Turned said...

Oh, what beautiful butterflies, Cindy--and what a wonderful cause! Thanks for sharing this, as I hadn't heard about it...

Hope you have a lovely Sunday, my friend...

Julie

Jan Hennings said...

I love butterflies and all these are beautiful :)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Beautiful...and I LOVE all of that rich color :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Devonay said...

The new one is very pretty as well. My favorite is still the blue!

Donna said...

Hi Cindy
Your butterflies are stunning! Your imagination never ceases to amaze me! What a wonderful commemoration!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Beautiful butterflies. Your creations are amazing.

hugs
Sissie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh! they are breath taking beautiful! What a wonderful project. laurie

Home and Heart said...

Lovely butterflies. We should always remember and learn from such tragedies!

Faye said...

Such gorgeous butterflies, Cindy. You do such refined and elegantly beautiful work.

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

So beautiful Cindy, and what a wonderful project!!! I scrolled down to see your Marie piece too, and had a good chuckle over the quote!! So cute! Thanks so much for linking this up to Brag Monday.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, Cindy, your butterflies are wonderful.

WW said...

Those are so beautiful. I love the layers and dimension on them.

PetraB said...

Your butterflies are adorable. Mine are still in the making but they will fly off very soon!

the old white house said...

Those are absolutely beautiful Cindy! You can see all of the love and care you put into them, just wonderful, Theresa xoxo

Anonymous said...

Cindy, these are so beautiful. What an amazing opportunity for your gift to be a part of. I will most certainly check out the information. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love how you incorporated some of Louisiana with it. Perfection!

Maggie said...

Oh my ~ these are exquisite!! You have really inspired me with these lovely creations! The colors in each one are amazing!

Maggie

.Trudi Sissons said...

CINDY! I can't believe you made THREE!! They are each so beautiful and so unique. I'm going to go back now and read the details - I couldn't keep quiet that long! In fact, I just realized I'm whispering these words aloud as I type. :0)