My Wonderful Visitors

.

For free BLOGGING SEMINARS AND TUTORIALS, click the tabs below. I am sorry, but I am not available for personal blogging questions as I am writing full-time and my work takes precedence.

.

.

Friday, September 30, 2011

How to Blog: Blogging 101: Class 2: Visitors Don't Read Everything



You have just entered a free online class for women by Cindy Adkins, author of “Blogging: It’s a ‘Woman’ Thing” and “Blog from the Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Blogging,” both available on Amazon.


While this class was designed for women, men are invited too!


* * * * * * * * *


Welcome! Blogging allows you to be the Star of your own show~This seminar was created to make your blog rock!


From this class you will learn:


1. How you can create permanent back-links on a post

2. Why brevity is very important in blogging

3. Why putting your MAIN point in your title is vital

4. How to attach a blog button in blogger.


First, I need to clarify something from yesterday’s lesson. You can have other people put your blog button on their blog and vice versa to create back-links. But, have you ever written about someone on your blog and made a link that included their blog address? If so, you created a permanent back-link to them already! (Remember that creating back-links is essential for bringing up your blog ranking.)


I create back-links all the time because I talk about people on my blog and put a link to their names. That makes a back-link for them. Here is an example:


June of Dezinaworld and Gail of Shabby Cottage Studio have amazing images for sale. I know this first-hand because I design for both of these amazing women. Go over and take a look!”


See? I created permanent back-links to 2 people in one sentence!


* * * * * * * *


To learn how to attach a blog button to Blogger, go HERE!! I have written complete instructions with pictures on my Whimsical Musings Magazine blog.


Attaching blog buttons to Wordpress is different. As I have Blogger, this is the method that I personally use. If you have a Wordpress blog, yours will be added differently.


I am a graphic artist and if you need a blog button for your blog, I make them for any type of blog. Just email me at: Cindylou_20@hotmail.com They are not expensive! Also, be sure to tell me your blog address so that I can visit and give you some solid advice about the button.


* * * * * * * *


NOW, ONTO TODAY'S LESSON: Class 2--Visitors Don't Read Everything


Do you know that MOST people only spend split-seconds visiting blogs? Well, it’s true! So, if you bog your visitors down with lots of writing (like I am doing now), chances are that they will not read what you say word for word.


So, what can you do? Post some pictures, put very little text, and you are done!


It will not take you as long AND your visitors will appreciate it.


A TRUE STORY:


I was at a blog the other day in which a woman showed some beautiful pieces of art, but she also told about something terrible that was going on in her life. I looked at the comments. NO ONE mentioned it or said, “I’m so sorry to hear that.” Do you know why? Because they did not read it! Her post was so long that she “lost” people because she was not concise enough.


We blog in between life. We are not trying to spend our whole lives on here. So, if you have something SUPER important that you want people to know, put it in your title. That will get their attention. Then, they can scroll down to read the info. and won’t miss something very important you need to tell them.


How am I doing? Was this class helpful? I’ll see you tomorrow for Class 3.


If you are not a follower, could you please scroll up and join my blog on the top left?


Also, could you please click the Facebook button down below and post this to your Facebook page? I am hoping that thousands of people will come to see it and be helped with their blogs!


If you missed my first lesson, just scroll down to the next post--It is there.


On a special note: I will not be around this weekend~so I won't be able to answer questions.


I have several tutorials on my Whimsical Musings Magazine blog. You might want to go take a quick look in case there's something you need help with, such as centering your blog header or making and inserting a favicon.


30 comments:

Screaming Sardine said...

Hey, Cindy! So glad to have stumbled upon your class.

Yeppers, people have a very short attention span on the internet. I think the quickness of the internet has created more of our collective ADD - lol!

I've learned that you should bold important points, make bullet lists, and very short paragraphs to make your posts more scannable and thus, readable.

Looking forward to more of your lessons, as I always learn something valuable from you. :)

Hugs,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

jacirascrap said...

Obrigada pela 2a aula!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

great lessons, Cindy! so true what you said about we blog in between life! although for this post, i did read word for word! thanks for sharing!

Simply Debbie said...

Hi Cindy,
Boy have I learned a lot and how sad for the lady to not receive comfort during a sad time.
I have so enjoyed these classes. You are awesome.
hugs

The Polka Dot Closet said...

This is fun...thank you! I can't wait for tomorrow! Of course I did not like the part where I checked and my blog only ranked 3/10 I had better stay tuned to your classes

Carol

Barbara F. said...

Cindy, these tutorials are fabulous and very helpful. There are blogs I skip over because they always have 30 photos of one tablescape - yes, we see the table is beautiful, how much does one pore over each photo?? Same with flowers. Makes me nuts but yet they have hundreds even thousands of followers! xo

Cindy Adkins said...

Wonderful advice, Cindy! I feel like I'm on the right track!! I, too, love the line "we blog in between life!" Thanks!

Debbiedoos said...

You are doing a fabulous job! I am glad you are talking about being too wordy. I have found I am a scanner, although I did read your entire post, but that is because it is intended to be read to learn from. I am guilty of that in the beginning of blogging. Now I tend to go for more pics and tell my story in between. I appreciate you doing this Cindy! XO

Myric said...

I like it when you make it simple and straight to the point. I am a lazy reader myself but I enjoy your writings as well as your creations.

xoxo

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Cindy,

Great lessons for the blogging 101, very helpful and thanks for sharing.
Yes, so sad for the Lady that did not receive comfort when she needed it.

Hope that you have a lovely weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Donna said...

Great tips, Cindy! I agree about not being too wordy! Can't wait to see what else you have for us to learn!!!

Rhissanna said...

I added your button! Huzzah! Now to make my own....

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I tend to ramble.....lol! So I hear ya! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Brenda Brown said...

Thanks again Cindy, you are a star.
luv and hugs {brenda} xox

Dorthe said...

Cindy,
your class is fantastic- and so helpful- and yes you are right-now and then there are just not time in ones life, to read very long posts- BUT I normally do, as to not misunderstand- and comment wrong :)
Hugs to you dear, and happy week-end relaxing from blogging :)
Dorthe

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for the tips, Cindy!

suziqu's thread works said...

Excelent advice Cindy.
I'm loving these lessons! AND
I do tend to agree with everything you say.
Big hugs for your kindness in sharing
this knowledge.
Suzy

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Cindy
Very helpful.
I am aware of length of posts. I try to keep text as minimal as possible and include only relevant photographs.
Prior to reading your post I was considering changes and you have now given me even more food for thought.
Thank you always.
Lynne x

Kats Studio said...

Thanks Cindy,just found your blog and love the classes. I have added yours to my list & I will work on the button thingy! Until next time have a blessed day!
Kathleen Wilson
katscottage.blogspot

Georgie Horn said...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us newbies!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Hi Cindy
We were on my blog at the same time. I hope you noticed I added your badge for the seminar and also edited my hallowe'en post with a link to Day 2.
You are so giving to others that to do this for you is only a very, very small gesture.
Wishes
Lynne

Anonymous said...

P.S. Cindy, I did find your message, yes very helpful, have put on Facebook, thanks again, Celeste

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Thanks, Cindy. Have a nice weekend.
Hugs, Gayle.

Daniella said...

Another great lesson!
I can't wait for the next one!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
xxDaniella

Michele said...

you are an amazing genius Cindy and i love you to pieces. thank you for this wonderful information you are sharing. oh my goodness this is great, xo

Victorian1885 said...

Hello Cindy
Thank you so much for sharing these tips! I am checking out earlier posts so I can get some more great tips.. have a wonderful weekend my friend!
Hugs,
Wanda

Gerri Herbst said...

dear Cindy,
Thanks for visiting while I was away. Just love these classes, you are soo generous to share your knowledge and your art! take care my friend, gerri

Chris Arlington said...

Thanks Hun! for your comments. You have always been a wonderful, supportive blogging friend.
Hugs, Chris

Laura Rhodes said...

Thanks for the pointers! I've always thought I'd err on being short rather than long like many people do..I've never been one to be overly wordy...Short & sweet & to the point is my motto. blessings, Laura

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Cindy,

Well...some have a personal blog, some a business blog and some a little bit of both.
I guess we visit blogs looking for inspiration and to read interesting posts. Personally, don't have much time as I did before to visit blogs.
I miss that...And yes, my visits do not last long...

Gabriela