My Wonderful Visitors

.

For free BLOGGING SEMINARS AND TUTORIALS, click the tabs below. I am sorry, but I am not available for personal blogging questions as I am writing full-time and my work takes precedence.

.

.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sentimental Journey

I have always had a fondness for postcards. When I was a little girl, my parents traveled to Europe for a month on vacation. I stayed with wonderful relatives while they were away. Every time that my parents reached a new destination, my father would write and send me a postcard. I still have all the postcards in a box and have cherished them for all these years.

When I reached 18, I finally went on my own trip and sent postcards home.



Later, when I got married and raised my family, my grown children went off to Europe, Israel, and Asia on numerous trips and would send postcards from every destination....My refrigerator became covered in all the postcards. It was like a little “Frigidaire Monument” to my kids!



Lately, I have been creating these little collages that are mounted on vintage books...an idea that I got from my friend Dore of Burlap Luxe because she sent one to me many months ago and I treasure it.


I design for Shabby Cottage Studio and these were made using their postcard images.

21 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Really, really cute idea, Cindy. What a wonderful way to store those memories..right out where you can see them! xo Diana

jacirascrap said...

Eu adoro suas colagens!

Nan said...

These are so pretty. Do you just use the covers? Love your postcards story. :) Nan

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Cindy
I have that song in my head now.
Oh simply so beautiful.
Wishes
Lynne

My Creative House said...

Cindy your postcards are so beautifully made, to receive a postcard is wonderful, nowadays most people sends emails and it is not the same.
Hugs Anni

Netty said...

Oooh I really love these Cindy. Such a fab job.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely work Cindy! Valerie

Dorthe said...

Dear Cindy,how sweet, and beautiful- I love postcards, and yours are lovely-.-and mounted on the book front like that a wonderful hanger.
xox,Dorthe

Donnie said...

Such sweet memories. We still have a few postcards Don's Aunt Dorothy used to send him when they went on trips in the early 1950's.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love this idea....b/cI love postcards too and this is a great way to have them displayed and used. ☺

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

So so pretty Cindy!
xoxo
g

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Cindy,
I love the story of your post cards and the creations you were inspired to create. Just wonderful as always.
Have a wonderful evening my friend.
Love from Texas, Celestina Marie

Cindy said...

I just love them Cindy!! Just like everything that you make, they are just fabulous. What wonderful memories you have with your postcards.

Hugs XX
Barbara

Daniella said...

Oh! Such a sweet and lovely post! I am one of the few lucky recipients of these book cover collages, and I love it so!!! Now, with the story behind them, I feel so much more fortunate!!
You rock!
xxDaniella

Screaming Sardine said...

What a lovely idea! How beautiful your collages are. :)


Cheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

Donna said...

I love getting postcards, too, Cindy! That is awesome that you have kept yours from family all these years. And your creations are just gorgeous, what a terrific idea! Sounds like it is our turn to go on a trip and send out the postcards:)

Judie said...

While going through a box of mementos I can across some very old postcards that my father had sent me when I was a toddler, and he was traveling on business. These things are as old as DIRT!

Your collages are lovely, Cindy!!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Old postcards say so much! About the image that's in front, about the person who sent it and to whom it was actually sent! Love that bit of history behind them and your postcard collages are superb Cindy! Hugs, Ira

Kim said...

I love Vintage Postcards too, my girlfriends and I collect them from different antique stores! I love your little collages, very sweet!! Happy Hump Day, the weekend will be here soon!!! xo ♥

Unknown said...

There's just something about postcards. Even ones from people I don't know! I collect them too. LOVE this gorgeous way to make them into keepsakes.
xo
Roselle

Charlotte Wilson said...

Cindy,
You are so talented! I wish I could think of things like this!